Entertainment

Kai Cenat’s riot charges were dropped after he apologized and paid for the chaos in Union Square

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on telegram
Share on email
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram


NEW YORK — Charges of inciting a riot will be dropped against online streamer Kai Cenat after he agreed to pay compensation and apologize for drawing thousands of fans to New York’s Union Square last year, prosecutors said.

Cenat, 22, and two co-defendants agreed to pay more than $57,000 in restitution and apologize on social media for the Aug. 4 melee that followed Cenat’s announcement that he would be there distributing video game consoles and other devices electronics, the Manhattan district attorney’s office said. Tuesday.

After Cenat, who has millions of followers on Twitch, YouTube and other platforms, announced the giveaway, teenage fans who showed up broke car windows, climbed onto buses, threw paint cans and set off fire extinguishers. Dozens of people were arrested and at least four were taken to hospitals with injuries.

Cenat apologized on Snapchat on Tuesday for the “disruption and damage to the community, park, vehicles and storefronts in the area.”

The streamer, who was born and raised in New York City, posted: “I wanted to do something cool and fun for people and I didn’t think it would turn into something that would hurt the city, and I should have thought more about the post before I announce it.”

Cenat faced charges of inciting a riot and promoting an illegal assembly. M’Niyah Lynn, a spokeswoman for Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg, said the case would be officially dismissed after Snapchat’s apology lasted 24 hours. Cenat’s co-defendants were also ordered to publish the apology, as well as pay about $1,000 each, Lynn said.

Cenat was ordered to pay $55,000 to the Union Square Partnership to cover cleaning costs and landscaping repairs.

Cenat had already apologized for the chaos days later.

“Beyond disappointed in anyone who became disruptive that day bro,” Cenat said on Twitch.

Cenat said he has watched videos of people jumping into cars “and I ask myself when I watch the video, ‘Why? Like, why? Do you feel what I’m saying?



This story originally appeared on ABCNews.go.com read the full story

Support fearless, independent journalism

We are not owned by a billionaire or shareholders – our readers support us. Donate any amount over $2. BNC Global Media Group is a global news organization that delivers fearless investigative journalism to discerning readers like you! Help us to continue publishing daily.

Support us just once

We accept support of any size, at any time – you name it for $2 or more.

Related

More

1 2 3 6,256

Don't Miss

California Initiative Amending Proposition 47 Now Eligible for Vote in November Election

California Initiative Amending Proposition 47 Now Eligible for Vote in November Election

A highly anticipated California initiative that would make changes to
Tacoma receives nearly  million to transition residents from fossil fuels to clean energy

Tacoma receives nearly $2 million to transition residents from fossil fuels to clean energy

On June 21, the Washington State Department of Commerce awarded