New York prosecutors have accused Harvey Weinstein’s lead defense attorney of making public statements intended to intimidate a potential witness ahead of the fallen movie mogul’s retrial and asked a judge to take action.
The Manhattan District Attorney’s office sent a letter to the judge on Thursday criticizing comments made by attorney Arthur Aidala outside the courtroom on May 1, urging the judge to instruct the defense team “not to make public statements discussing or disparaging potential witnesses in the future. ”
New York’s highest court last month threw out Weinstein’s 2020 rape conviction, ruling that the trial judge unfairly allowed testimony against him based on allegations that were not part of the case. In that landmark #MeToo trial, Weinstein was convicted of third-degree rape for an attack on an aspiring actress in 2013 and for forcing himself on a TV and film production assistant, Miriam Haley, in 2006.
Weinstein, 72, has maintained his innocence.
Speaking to reporters about the case after Weinstein’s first court appearance following the ruling, Aidala said she believes Haley lied to the jury about her reason for coming forward, which prosecutors refute. He said his team planned an aggressive interrogation into the matter “if she dares to come and show her face here.”
Haley, who did not attend the hearing, said days earlier that she was weighing whether to testify again in a new trial.
Aidala declined to comment Friday.
Assistant District Attorney Nicole Blumberg, in the letter to Judge Curtis Farber, said the defense attorney violated state rules of professional conduct and “knowingly disregarded his professional and ethical obligations.”
“The obvious intent of his statements was to intimidate Ms. Haley and diminish her cooperation with the retrial of this case,” Blumberg wrote.
Blumberg asked Farber to remind defense counsel of their ethical obligations regarding out-of-court statements and to instruct them to stop making public statements about witnesses “that could materially harm the case.”
Weinstein’s next court appearance is Wednesday. At the May 1 hearing, prosecutors asked for a new trial as early as September. Farber said the trial would take place sometime after Labor Day.
Weinstein, who was serving a 23-year sentence for the Manhattan conviction, was transferred from a state prison to city custody following last month’s ruling by the state Court of Appeals. He was also convicted in Los Angeles in 2022 of another rape and is still sentenced to 16 years in prison in California.
Haley said last month at a news conference with her attorney, Gloria Allred, that she didn’t want to go through the trauma of testifying again, “but to go ahead and do the right thing and because that’s what happened, I would consider it.”
Allred declined comment Friday.
Weinstein’s press secretary, Juda Engelmayer, said Friday that prosecutors have engaged in the same type of extrajudicial statements they are complaining about.
“Mr. Weinstein was dragged through an unfair and unconstitutional trial,” he wrote in an email. “And he and his lawyers will continue to speak out in favor of his innocence.”
The Associated Press generally does not identify people who allege sexual assault unless they agree to be identified, as Haley did.
___
Associated Press writer Michael R. Sisak contributed reporting
Prosecutors in the Harvey Weinstein case in New York complain about defense lawyer’s comments
New York prosecutors have accused Harvey Weinstein’s lead defense attorney of making public statements intended to intimidate a potential witness ahead of the fallen movie mogul’s retrial and asked a judge to take action.
The Manhattan District Attorney’s office sent a letter to the judge on Thursday criticizing comments made by attorney Arthur Aidala outside the courtroom on May 1, urging the judge to instruct the defense team “not to make public statements discussing or disparaging potential witnesses in the future. ”
New York’s highest court last month threw out Weinstein’s 2020 rape conviction, ruling that the trial judge unfairly allowed testimony against him based on allegations that were not part of the case. In that landmark #MeToo trial, Weinstein was convicted of third-degree rape for an attack on an aspiring actress in 2013 and for forcing himself on a TV and film production assistant, Miriam Haley, in 2006.
Weinstein, 72, has maintained his innocence.
Speaking to reporters about the case after Weinstein’s first court appearance following the ruling, Aidala said she believes Haley lied to the jury about her reason for coming forward, which prosecutors refute. He said his team planned an aggressive interrogation into the matter “if she dares to come and show her face here.”
Haley, who did not attend the hearing, said days earlier that she was weighing whether to testify again in a new trial.
Aidala declined to comment Friday.
Assistant District Attorney Nicole Blumberg, in the letter to Judge Curtis Farber, said the defense attorney violated state rules of professional conduct and “knowingly disregarded his professional and ethical obligations.”
“The obvious intent of his statements was to intimidate Ms. Haley and diminish her cooperation with the retrial of this case,” Blumberg wrote.
Blumberg asked Farber to remind defense counsel of their ethical obligations regarding out-of-court statements and to instruct them to stop making public statements about witnesses “that could materially harm the case.”
Weinstein’s next court appearance is Wednesday. At the May 1 hearing, prosecutors asked for a new trial as early as September. Farber said the trial would take place sometime after Labor Day.
Weinstein, who was serving a 23-year sentence for the Manhattan conviction, was transferred from a state prison to city custody following last month’s ruling by the state Court of Appeals. He was also convicted in Los Angeles in 2022 of another rape and is still sentenced to 16 years in prison in California.
Haley said last month at a news conference with her attorney, Gloria Allred, that she didn’t want to go through the trauma of testifying again, “but to go ahead and do the right thing and because that’s what happened, I would consider it.”
Allred declined comment Friday.
Weinstein’s press secretary, Juda Engelmayer, said Friday that prosecutors have engaged in the same type of extrajudicial statements they are complaining about.
“Mr. Weinstein was dragged through an unfair and unconstitutional trial,” he wrote in an email. “And he and his lawyers will continue to speak out in favor of his innocence.”
The Associated Press generally does not identify people who allege sexual assault unless they agree to be identified, as Haley did.
___
Associated Press writer Michael R. Sisak contributed reporting
This story originally appeared on ABCNews.go.com read the full story
Support fearless, independent journalism
We are not owned by a billionaire or shareholders – our readers support us. Donate any amount over $2. BNC Global Media Group is a global news organization that delivers fearless investigative journalism to discerning readers like you! Help us to continue publishing daily.
Support us just once
We accept support of any size, at any time – you name it for $2 or more.
Danger! fans go wild after A-lister makes a surprise appearance in the episode as viewers exclaim ‘I didn’t see that coming!’
Emotional Umbrella Academy season 4 trailer arrives with Nick Offerman cameo as fans leave ‘crying on the floor’
Lindsay Lohan parties with lookalike sister Aliana and brother Cody at 38th birthday party as fans say she ‘looks amazing’
Viola Davis and James Patterson to Collaborate on Novel Set in the Contemporary Rural South
Related
Viola Davis and James Patterson to Collaborate on Novel Set in the Contemporary Rural South
Alec Baldwin manslaughter trial begins with jury selection
The Brera modern art museum will open in Milan this autumn after 52 years of delays and 39 governments
Alice Munro’s daughter alleges sexual abuse by late author’s husband
Willem Dafoe appointed artistic director of the theater department at the Venice Biennale
More
Trump is just a New York crook | donald trump
A Papua New Guinea lawmaker facing a domestic assault charge in Australia will resign during the case
This Labor government will have a ‘NATO first’ defense strategy
Faye Dunaway, 83, in good spirits as she helped get to her car while leaving Live in New York ahead of Max’s documentary
3 Positions to Watch for the Kansas Football Defense Ahead of Big 12 Media Days
Japan and Philippines sign defense pact with eyes on China | Military News
Family Feud’s Steve Harvey Demands Audience ‘Stop Clapping’ for Answer About Women Driving As He Shoots ‘Y’all Have the Courage’
Steve Harvey squeezes Shaquille O’Neal’s butt – and other ‘hilarious’ Celebrity Family Feud moments that made us stop
Britain’s Defense Secretary John Healey runs to a bomb shelter during a missile attack on his first official visit to Ukraine
New UK Defense Minister visits Odesa on first trip abroad and promises more support
Britain will support Ukraine ‘as long as necessary’, new Defense Secretary declares in direct warning to Putin
Sheff Utd faces disciplinary investigation after rivals complain investors who tried to buy the club have already broken rules
Warship returns home after historic voyage – but new defense secretary misses action | UK News
Judge refuses to dismiss charges against Trump valet in confidential documents case
Judge Aileen Cannon grants Trump’s request to suspend some deadlines in classified documents case amid immunity questions
Marine Le Pen hits out at Kylian Mbappe for election comments
Judge Aileen Cannon grants Trump’s request to suspend some deadlines in classified documents case amid immunity questions
Cannon responds to Trump’s request to further delay classified documents case
Trump seeks to turn Supreme Court victory into election case to end confidential documents case
Secret document titled ‘Case for Kamala’ being ‘circulated to top Democrats’ as party turns on bumbling Joe Biden
Trump seeks to turn Supreme Court victory into election case to end confidential documents case
Nate Silver calls on Biden to resign after ‘incoherent’ comments in ABC interview
Trump clings to Supreme Court immunity ruling in documents case
Ryan Garcia has been kicked out of the World Boxing Council for vile online comments as the controversial boxer remains banned for a year
Family Feud goes off script after Steve Harvey airs contestant’s ‘not PG’ response and leaves fans howling
Steve Harvey looks unrecognizable with gray beard and Italian vacation outfit as he takes rare break from Family Feud
Putin on Trump’s comments on ending the war in Ukraine
New York Mets star JD Martinez suffers ‘bizarre’ ankle injury after being forced to wear new cleats following mix-up
Russia “really hasn’t achieved that much” despite delays in US aid to Ukraine, says US defense official
Nathan’s Famous Independence Day Hot Dog Contest Set for New York — Without His Usual Chewer
Increasing support for access to abortion for any reason: Survey
I predicted Apple’s phone release date last year — now’s when I think the iPhone 16 and its free iOS update will arrive
Fox Sports includes Colorado-Nebraska among the most anticipated rivalry games of 2024
FTC bans anonymous messaging app from hosting underage users
Jude Bellingham’s brother Jobe snubs lucrative Premier League transfer and decides to stay at Sunderland