A Grumpy man got tired of his neighbor’s “excessive” noise and decided to make a homemade explosive in their car.
The original instance took place in 2018, although he only went to trial in 2021.
Alexander Arsenault was home when his neighbors, the Conways, were gathering at their Greenfield, Massachusetts home in December 2018.
Joseph R. Bonavolonta, the special agent in charge of the FBI’s Boston Division, summarized the incident as Arsenault’s inability to control his temper after the Conways made “excessive” noise.
“Irritated by what he believed to be excessive noise coming from his neighbor’s home, Alex Arsenault knowingly and willingly made a homemade explosive bomb, detonated it on his property and put his fellow citizens in fear for their lives,” he told new independent station. WHDH.
Arsenault stated that he has had problems with them before, and their “excessive noise” led him to make a homemade explosive device for the family Jeep.
Read more about neighbors
The explosive had a “low explosive main charge and a non-electrical fusion system” and, according to informants who provided information to the Tribune Publishing GroupArsenault was purchasing bomb-making materials before the incident.
He detonated the device on December 1, 2018, waking the Conways and other neighbors, prompting local police to be called.
The Conways told the FBI that Arsenault had not previously threatened them with violence.
Arsenault was quickly arrested, and an investigation by the Greenfield Police Department found several materials traditionally used to make explosives, as well as a document with advice on how to answer legal information questions about the destruction of a vehicle.
Police also found firearms that were not legally registered.
Police had negotiated with Arsenault before, while neighbors complained of loud noises reminiscent of explosions.
The news outlet reported that he was arrested in January and pleaded guilty in federal court to a charge of possession of an unregistered firearm in connection with the explosion.
His sentencing took place on May 18, 2018, when Arsenault would normally have been sentenced to three or four years in prison.
However, the prosecution and defense agreed that court-mandated mental health treatment would be more fair.
He was also ordered to pay $4,500 in restitution for damage to Conway’s Jeep.
Furthermore, he was not allowed to speak to those neighbors and would have to leave the house.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Anna Kransinski wrote in a sentencing memorandum that Arsentault’s “mental health had deteriorated substantially and he was suffering from psychotic episodes in which he irrationally believed he was being harassed.”
The Conways also believed that treatment would be wiser than prosecution, since being sentenced to prison would “likely increase the defendant’s danger to the community rather than decrease it.”
Arsenault’s lawyer, Behzad Mirashem, wrote in a memo that his client’s mental health has “markedly improved” since attending mandatory treatment.
A strong emotional support system and consistent treatment plan would not be available to him in prison, he said.
“With appropriate treatment, there is no reason to expect his conduct to be repeated,” Mirashem wrote.
This story originally appeared on The-sun.com read the full story