Politics

Biden and Trump qualify for debate as window closes: CNN

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on telegram
Share on email
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram



President Biden and former President Trump qualified for the first presidential debate of 2024 as the deadline to meet the requirements ended on Thursday, according to CNN.

CNN is scheduled to host the first debate on June 27, with Dana Bash and Jake Tapper selected as moderators. Biden and Trump were the only candidates qualified for the debate, which marks the first between a sitting and former president, according to the outlet.

Candidates were required to garner at least 15 percent support in four national polls and had to be viable in enough state votes to win the 270 delegates needed to be elected to the White House. Independent candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr., who faced a tough battle to reach the threshold, was not expected to get a spot on the debate stage.

Biden and Trump, the presumptive nominees of their respective parties, are now even closer to a likely rematch in the 2020 elections. Debates in the last presidential election cycle between the two were marked by swearing, interruptions and confrontations with moderators.

Now, the two return to the debate next week with defined rules announced by CNN and agreed upon by both candidates.

Their microphones will be muted throughout the debate, except when it is the candidate’s turn to speak. Moderators will also be able to “use all tools at their disposal to enforce time and ensure a civilized discussion,” according to the rules.

There will also be no studio audience, unlike past debates.

Biden and Trump agreed last month in two debates. In a poll released after the debates were announced, the majority of Americans – 72% – said they were likely to tune in. About 27% said no, the Quinnipiac survey found.

The second debate will be organized by ABC on September 10th.



This story originally appeared on thehill.com read the full story

Support fearless, independent journalism

We are not owned by a billionaire or shareholders – our readers support us. Donate any amount over $2. BNC Global Media Group is a global news organization that delivers fearless investigative journalism to discerning readers like you! Help us to continue publishing daily.

Support us just once

We accept support of any size, at any time – you name it for $2 or more.

Related

More

1 2 3 6,256

Don't Miss