Politics

Alito rejects calls to recuse himself from flag controversy

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on telegram
Share on email
Share on reddit
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram


Updated: | Originally published:

(WASHINGTON) – Justice Samuel Alito is rejecting calls to step aside from Supreme Court cases involving former President Donald Trump and the Jan. 6 defendants because of the controversy over the flags flying over their homes.

In letters to members of Congress on Wednesday, Alito said his wife was responsible for flying an inverted flag over their home in 2021 and an “Appeal to Heaven” flag at their New Jersey beach house last year.

Neither incident merits his dismissal, he wrote.

“I therefore have a duty to reject your request for refusal,” he wrote.

The court is considering two key cases related to the Jan. 6, 2021 attack by a mob of Trump supporters on the Capitol, including the charges the rioters face and whether Trump has immunity from prosecution on election interference charges.

Alito has rejected calls from Democrats in the past to recuse himself on other issues.

The New York Times reported that an inverted American flag was seen at Alito’s home in Alexandria, Virginia, less than two weeks after the attack on the Capitol. The newspaper also reported that an “Appeal to Heaven” flag was flown outside the judge’s New Jersey beach house last summer. Both flags were carried by protesters who violently stormed the Capitol in January 2021, echoing Trump’s false claims of election fraud.

Alito said he didn’t know the inverted flag was flying above his home until it was brought to his attention. “As soon as I saw it, I asked my wife to take it down, but for several days she refused,” he wrote in nearly identical letters to Democrats in the House and Senate.



This story originally appeared on Time.com read the full story

Support fearless, independent journalism

We are not owned by a billionaire or shareholders – our readers support us. Donate any amount over $2. BNC Global Media Group is a global news organization that delivers fearless investigative journalism to discerning readers like you! Help us to continue publishing daily.

Support us just once

We accept support of any size, at any time – you name it for $2 or more.

Related

More

1 2 3 6,256

Don't Miss

Casey Schmitt hits a double in the 10th as the Giants beat the Reds 6-5 but lost Jung Hoo Lee

Casey Schmitt hits a double in the 10th as the Giants beat the Reds 6-5 but lost Jung Hoo Lee

SAN FRANCISCO — Casey Schmitt hit a double in the
Video: watch the best LFA fights in April 2024

Video: watch the best LFA fights in April 2024

Legacy Fighting Alliance’s month of April was filled with more