At least 35,272 people have been killed in Gaza, according to Hamas. (File)
Jerusalem:
The US military said aid deliveries began on Friday via a temporary dock in Gaza, aiming to increase emergency humanitarian assistance to the war-torn Palestinian territory.
“Today, at approximately 9:00 am (Gaza time), trucks carrying humanitarian assistance began disembarking through a temporary dock in Gaza,” US Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a statement, adding that no US troops disembarked .
“This is an ongoing multinational effort to provide additional aid to Palestinian civilians in Gaza through a maritime corridor that is entirely humanitarian in nature,” he said.
The pier was successfully anchored on Thursday, with around 500 tons of aid expected to enter Palestinian territory in the coming days.
Photos released Thursday by CENTCOM showed humanitarian aid being transported to a barge in the Israeli port near Ashdod.
The Palestinian territory faces famine after an Israeli siege caused a terrible shortage of food, as well as drinking water, medicine and fuel for its 2.4 million inhabitants.
The arrival of occasional aid convoys has slowed since Israeli forces took control last week of the Gaza side of the Rafah crossing.
The UN has said that opening land crossing points and allowing more truck convoys into Gaza is the only way to contain the growing humanitarian crisis.
The war in Gaza broke out after the Hamas attack on October 7 in southern Israel, which resulted in the deaths of more than 1,170 people, most of them civilians, according to an AFP count of official Israeli data.
Israel’s devastating military retaliation has killed at least 35,272 people, most of them civilians, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.
(Except the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
This story originally appeared on Ndtv.com read the full story